Mittwoch, 2. September 2020



Part 10

at that time, there was no internet

the Africans trying to get to Europe only knew the northern continent because of the tourists they saw traveling in their country

now, I could understand why they all tried to go to Europe

I wonder whether they would still have tried to come to Europe had they know what Europe was really like

these old cultures, like Europe and Chine or India had something decadent about them

for a very long time, nearly 500 years, the Europeans had destroyed every kind of culture in Africa

maybe, the future of humanity lies in Africa because they do not have this sort of burden of the past

x

but why did I go back to Europe and not southwards to black Africa?

actually, I didn’t have any more money and must admit that I was not brave enough to go to black Africa without money

what one can do in Europe, one can’t do in Africa

the lowest living level in Europe is enough to live on with minor trouble

but Africa is different, the lowest living level there is only enough to starve of hunger

x

through all my life, I’ve been criticizing European society and snobbery with all her racism and arrogance

nevertheless, European culture is still one of the most tolerant and advanced

and there is no other place in the world like Europe, North America or Australia where people can live their inclinations so freely

however, can we just lean back saying that it’s much better than elsewhere if we know exactly that it’s still not good enough?

X

communism in Eastern Europe had just broken down

maybe, I could leave Western Europe without leaving Europe?

many eastern European people moved to Western Europe to begin a better life

but only few people moved from Western Europe to the eastern part of the continent

me, I was one of them

and when I arrived, they looked at me like at somebody from Mars

x

my dog, yes, I had a dog at that time

it was only a small dog of about 15 kg

when I think back, he was my best friend, I’ve never had a better one

he, because it was a male dog, didn’t like Northern Africa very much

the Arab culture likes the cat but not the dog

cats have very important tasks, for example catching mice and rats

still today, dogs fulfils the role of pigs in these countries

most of them are street dogs and feed on the rubbish they find in the streets

x

my money was nearly gone and there, I was sitting in front of one of the railway stations in Budapest

a young man, younger than me, came around and asked me whether I needed a place for the night

I was surprised but agreed to follow him

he didn’t live in town but somewhere in the suburbs

I told him my story and the next day, he brought me to a commune

there had already been 6 people and a cat but only 4 rooms; and me, I was the 7th with a dog

x

the young people, 5 men, one woman and a male cat, were all students and therefore not very rich, so they needed someone to add a bit to the rental fee

to my question what I could do to earn a living, they advised me to go to a language school

although I already spoke German, English, French and Spanish, I had never much studied grammar

in the past in these Eastern European countries at school, only Russian had been taught

but the soviet union had broken down and now, they need to learn Western European languages

because of everybody working illegally, the private schools did not ask too much about diplomas, I think they were rather glad to get foreign native speakers at all

x

of course, I tried to learn the local language, Hungarian, as soon as possible

so far, I had always gone to a country and sat down with local people and that way learned the language

for the first time, I studied with a book and began to analyse the grammar

today, I can say that I learned German and English grammar via analysing the Hungarian language

x

the life of the students of that flat could be called rather leger

they had many parties and took me with them as a kind of attraction

having a western European friend was considered something very special at that time

and as I was the only one who was really working, I had the most money

so mostly I invited them for drinks

I must admit we got drunk most of the time

but all of them spoke some kind of foreign language, so I didn’t learn much of their local speech

this kind of paradise ended after around two month when summer came and one of the language schools sent me to a summer-language-children-camp








Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen