Mittwoch, 2. September 2020


Part 2

Where did my actual state of mind come from?

Well! Now to think back!

As a child, not having seen and experienced anything else before

Probably, I always felt that something wasn’t working well around me.

And of course, I couldn’t define my thoughts

People seemed a bit to superficial, not deep enough

But the feeling of wanting change got stronger and stronger in me

X

When I was 16, I went on a bigger excursion for the first time alone

I went to another very small town 300 km far away by bike

A kind of Woodstock-festival took place there

Very many different kind of people, hippies, punks, normal youngsters like me

It was a completely new world to me and very strange

These were people, I had seen only on TV so far

And nearly everybody there could play a music instrument

I must admit I envied them

And it was not before 20 years later when I learned my first music instrument myself

X

However, what I didn’t get at this music festival was satisfaction

It showed me that something was very wrong in my world at home

But it didn’t any kind of concrete answer

Therefore, I had to for it elsewhere

From that moment on, I was unsatisfied with everything around me

I had never hated school before and went there to meet friends

But now, I couldn’t even meet friends there

Most schoolmates either didn’t want to listen to my dreams

Or they just laughed at me, or they said that I was stupid

Yes, I think I was just different

I didn’t want to live my life in a secure, golden cage

One gets everything in Germany, even freedom of speech but no freedom of mind

In Germany, everybody is expected to be conform to the system

And I think I still have not found what I've been looking for all these years

X

Summer holiday arrived.

I was 17 years old and nothing could hold me anymore.

I wanted to discover the world

I dreamt of Genova

How many Italians had begun their voyages from there?

My English was very poor at that time

And I didn’t speak Italian at all

But I thought, like all other young people at that age,

I thought that the world belonged to me

X

The sun was shining for me

Even if it was raining

Shorts, sandals, a rucksack, sleeping back and a little bit of money

That was all I needed to feel free for the first time in my life

Of course, I didn’t go by train, bus or airplane

I did hitchhiking

And when it got night, I slept where I was or wanted

Sometimes, I had to wait for an hour for someone to stop

But I got nearer and nearer to Genova

Or maybe, Genova got nearer to me?

X

Of course, Genova of today looks completely different

I should have been disappointed but I wasn’t

Even so the city looked grey and dirty

Thousands of tourists, people being dressed in suits and ties going to work in an office, just like in every other town in Europe

At a moment, I asked someone to help me to find the beach

He looked laughing at me

Probably, he thought ‘’What a stupid tourist!”

But he said “My dear, get on the train! 30 km to the east or west!”

However, I first went straight ahead, to the place where the city and the ocean met

Because I had never before seen the sea

x

the sun was going down

sunrays reflected in oily water

lights being switched on behind me

nightlife beginning in the city

me, as a boy from the countryside

the next wonder

nobody really cared for or looked at me

I was as extraordinary or normal as anybody else

and for the first time of the voyage, I took a train

because I couldn’t find a sleeping place



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen